Grades 10, 11, 12
Usually taken grade 10
This course is designed to teach the English Language Arts standards of Reading, Writing, Speaking and Listening, and Language in an appropriately enriched and challenging environment. Students are encouraged to read texts of different types such as short stories, news articles, informative essays, narrative nonfiction, and dramas. Teachers use the myPerspectives series by Pearson along with selected Trade Books that correspond to each Unit of Study. Each Unit focuses on an Essential Question: Do people need to belong? What is the relationship between power and freedom? Within the units, students are taught to apply skills to various texts and use textual evidence in their numerous Performance Tasks which culminates in a Performance-Based Assessment at the end of each Unit.
This course is designed with Increased rigor in text selection and writing expectations. Students will be well-prepared for entering FVL's dual-credit English courses in grade 12. Placement is based on the successful completion of Advanced Language Arts 1 and recommendation by ALA1 or LA1 instructor. Parental permission is required for entry.
- Prerequisite: Successful completion of ALA1 per instructor approval; Former LA1 students can apply, given the following characteristics:
1. Room in the class requested.
2. 3.0+ cumulative GPA
3. B+ or better in the prior academic year English courses
4. Approval by English faculty with relevant knowledge
5. Parent approval given to the counselor
Required: Yes, unless in Guided Studies OR in LA2
- Grade 10
- Grade 11
- Grade 12