College Credit Capable
Wisconsin Lutheran College
Dual enrollment option is offered through Wisconsin Lutheran College at a cost of $275 for three credits or $550 for six credits. The comparable college courses are ENG 101 and ENG 220.
An elective year-long course that prepares students for the challenges of college reading and writing. Study covers a survey of British and world prose and poetry as well as the development of the English language. Genres include poetry, dramas, novels, short stories, and essays. Major works covered include Shakespeare’s Hamlet & Macbeth, Joseph Conrad’s Heart of Darkness, and George Orwell's 1984.
- Fall semester work includes a thesis-driven literary analysis written outside of class time.
- Spring semester includes the oral classroom presentation of a major author, as well as a Master Essay.
Students will focus on evaluating the authors’ intent, impact, and philosophies from a Christian viewpoint. Class includes a mythology review unit. Summer reading of two classic literary pieces is required.
- Prerequisite: B+ or higher in all previous LA courses and/or teacher approval
Beginning in 2021-22, credit in Advanced Language Arts and Composition or Advanced American Literature & Composition will be required.
- Recommendation: Highly motivated college-bound seniors
- Required: No
- Note: Dual enrollment option is offered through Wisconsin Lutheran College at a cost of $550 for six credits or $275 for three credits. Credit may be earned for WLC Expository Writing (ENG 101) and/or WLC British Literature (ENG 220).
- COLLEGE CREDIT CAPABLE
- Grade 12