Grades 10, 11, 12
This three-week summer course emphasis is on biking, disc golf, geocaching, and other summer activities.
- BIKING - Students are introduced to the concept of bicycling as a healthy, active form of transportation and exercise, as well as the concept of bicycle safety. Students will need to provide their own bicycle and helmet. Bicycles will be used just about every day and can be stored at FVL in a dry secure location.
- GEOCACHING - This part of the course introduces and then further instructs students to an enjoyable outdoor activity in which participants use a GPS receiver (we will use an app on your cell phone) to hide and seek containers called caches. Often considered a high-tech scavenger hunt, geocaching encourages increased physical activity, exploration, and conservation. This part of the course will consist of classroom instruction and off-campus geocaching outings.
- DISC GOLF - Disc golf, or Frisbee golf, is a modern spin on traditional golf that is becoming more popular for all ages. This part of the course provides disc golf instruction in skills, drill, and gameplay. Emphasizes history, etiquette, rules, vocabulary, and strategy. We will be making use of Plamann Park’s disc golf course throughout this part of the course.
Class will run from August 3 through August 21, 2020 from 9:30-11:30 AM. This is a semester-long class converted into a three-week summer course. You can expect to spend an average of 4-6 hours per week to complete the required readings, assignments, and other course work. Some weeks it may be more and some less depending upon your time management.
- Prerequisite: None, but priority given to students with schedule conflicts. There is a maximum of 30 students, and students will be asked to drop the course after three absences.
- Required: No
- Note: There is a $150 fee.
This course is offered in alternate years. The next offering will be summer of 2020.
- Grade 10
- Grade 11
- Grade 12
- PHYSICAL EDUCATION