1.0 CREDIT (1 semester course meeting, 2 consecutive periods per day)
Grades 11, 12
College Credit Capable
Fox Valley Technical College
This course is comprised of 3 FVTC classes:
- Weld Symbols 10-621-114 1 Credit Teaches students to interpret detailed weld symbols using the American Welding Society standard.
- Weld Print Reading 10-621-108 1 credit Provides practice in reading shop drawings. Topics include orthographic projection, auxiliary views, revolved sections, surface and centerline relationships, isometric drawings, scale drawing, and tolerances.
- GMAW Techniques 1 10-621-123 2 Credits Demonstrates welding on steel sheet metals and plates. Emphasis is placed on axial spray, pulse spray and short circuit mode of transfer. Upon completion of this course, the student will be able to weld in all positions, read basic weld symbols, and have an understanding of written welding procedures.
This is a college-level course that is designed to prepare the student for a career in metalworking, engineering, or the trades. Students will get the skills they need for a high-demand, entry-level career in welding. Their training will cover environmental work and personnel hazards common with the industry and proper personal protection methods. They'll learn how to read shop drawings, interpret detailed weld symbols and will receive hands-on training in welding on a variety of materials and positions.
- Prerequisite: Satisfactory Completion* of Introduction to Mechanical Arts and Welding and Fabrication or teacher approval
- Required: No
- Note: This is not a project-driven class.
*Students will have completed the requirements to earn FVTC credit in prerequisite classes
- COLLEGE CREDIT CAPABLE
- Grade 11
- Grade 12
- TECH & ENGINEERING