Your child is joining band, and you need an instrument. There are so many choices—it can be overwhelming and tough to know where to start! Fortunately, you have a few options . . .
Rent from FVL
- There is a limited supply.
- Not all instrument types are available—percussion and stringed instrument (including bass guitar) rentals are not available through FVL.
- Please contact Mr. James Neujahr to see if this is an option for your child!
Rent from a music store
- Rental fees are applied toward the purchase of the instrument.
- Usually the instrument is paid in full in about two years.
- A maintenance and repair plan is usually built in so that if anything happens to the instrument, you are covered.
- Flutes, clarinets, oboes, saxophones, trumpets, trombones, and mallet/percussion kits are relatively inexpensive to rent-to-purchase
- French horns, baritone/euphonium, tuba, bassoon are more expensive to own. FVL has these instruments available for rent.
- Craig's List/Ebay/Amazon-type-places
Buyer beware! If the price looks too good to be true, it probably is. It may need repair or be an older instrument that no longer works. If the price is way cheaper than others like it, don't buy it.
- Walmart/Target/Big Box Retail Stores
Don't buy instruments here! They are cheap knock-offs that may look shiny and be inexpensive, but they are not quality instruments. They often don't play in tune or won't last long. Also, if they need repair you are stuck—most instrument repair shops cannot get parts for these instruments.
Most instrument manufacturers have several lines of instruments. The level you want for a beginner is the "Student" line. Once your child grows and experiences a love for playing and improves their skills, you can step up to a higher level instrument.