Attendance - Truancy
Students are considered truant when they miss or skip class without school approved parental permission. A vacation with an adult family member is not truancy. Any missed assignments or tests will result in an F. FVL’s Police Liaison Officer may be notified.
Truancy is a serious offense and will result in the following actions will be taken:
- Students will be required to serve detention equal to the amount of school time missed.
- Parent(s) will be informed of the truancy.
- Truancies will be noted on the student’s permanent record.
- A student who cuts classes, skips school, leaves without a building pass or fails to bring in a valid excuse the next school day will receive one detention for each period missed up to seven for a full day and one detention for leaving without a building pass.
- After receiving five different unexcused absences (skipping school for any period of time will be considered truancy), the parents of the student will be personally contacted and a letter will follow placing the student on disciplinary probation.
Skipping class to work on homework or projects is considered in-house truancy. Students who are present in the building but do not report to their class are considered truant and are subject to discipline.