Behavior Policy - Disciplinary Actions
The school’s disciplinary program is supervised by the Assistant Principal in consultation with the Principal and other faculty when necessary. Parents will be informed and met with as necessary, depending on each case’s unique circumstances. All sin is deviation from God’s Word, and all sin is forgiven by Jesus. Some issues, though, due to serious spiritual ramifications, will warrant a student’s pastor getting involved to assist with the situation. All disciplinary actions carried out by the school are governed by the guidance of God’s Word and seek to correct student behavior in a God-pleasing way. The various levels of disciplinary action include:
- Detentions - minor infractions
- Probation - after five disciplinary detentions or more serious misconduct
- Suspension - violation of probation guidelines or flagrant misconduct
- Expulsion - infractions such as serious misuse of drugs/alcohol, fighting, bullying, and/or continuing disregard for school policy. Expulsion decisions will be made by the FVL Board of Regents.
A Police Liaison Officer has been assigned to FVL by the Appleton Police Department. This officer comes to FVL at the request of the administration to deal with students who are involved in illegal activities.
Detention meets in room Commons three times per week (Tues.-Thurs.) from 3:30 to 4:30 PM. Failure to appear for a detention may double the penalty. Detentions may be served earlier than the scheduled date.
The following discipline problems will result in the actions listed:
- Cursing/Vulgar Language on Campus - 1st offense - One detention; 2nd offense - One day in-school suspension; 3rd offense - One to three day in-school suspension.
- Possession of Cigarettes/Smoking on Campus - 1st offense - Police Liaison Officer called resulting in city fine; 2nd offense - Police Liaison Officer called, one day in-school suspension; 3rd offense - Police Liaison Officer called, two day suspension.
- Fighting on Campus - Minor altercations such as pushing, shoving, or grabbing in the halls will result in a detention for all involved. Fighting will result in the Police Liaison Officer being called at whose discretion a fine may be issued.
- Theft on Campus - Minor thefts will be investigated by the administration. Major thefts will be reported to the Police Liaison Officer. In the case of any theft, restitution will be mandatory.