Technology/Computer Policies - Cell Phones
PRIVILEGES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Students may carry a mobile phone on their person before, during, and after school hours.
- By using a mobile device at school, students agree to the “FVL Technology Acceptable Use Agreement” which outlines appropriate use of technology devices on campus.
- By using a mobile device at school, those devices are subject to search and inspection of all files and communication records at the discretion of the administration to verify compliance with school policy.
- During the school day (from opening to closing prayers), mobile phones must be set on silent mode. The phone should be set to not emit any sound or vibration.
- Students are not allowed to take pictures or record audio or video during the school day unless given permission by a teacher for a class activity.
- Students may only access internet based services through the FVL wireless network. Access to the internet through other data services is forbidden while on campus.
- Devices may only be used at the discretion of the teacher or supervisor with the exception of commons, pits (for seniors during study period), lunch, and passing periods.
- Seniors may use their mobile devices in commons and pits, but must use headphones or earbuds for audio at all times.
- Mobile phones may not be used in the Media Center or study hall unless directed by a teacher or supervisor.
- If students need to make a phone call with their mobile device, they should go to the School Office to receive permission.
Teachers/supervisors set classroom rules for the use of mobile phones; however, they may not prevent students from bringing a device into the classroom.
- Teachers may require that devices are out of sight at all times.
- Teachers may require that devices are visible at all times.
- Teachers may require that students deposit their devices in a “common area” for the duration of the class.
- Teachers may give students permission to use devices in support of the learning process.
- Teachers are strongly discouraged from allowing devices to be used for non-class related uses.
Teachers/supervisors are expected to monitor compliance of both classroom and school-wide rules as part of their general role as classroom managers and servants to the entire school body.
Teachers/supervisors have the authority to confiscate a mobile phone in the event a student violates classroom or school policy. The phone will be given to the Assistant Principal as soon as possible.
MOBILE PHONE VIOLATIONS
If a student violates the school-wide or classroom rules/procedures for cell phones, the device will be confiscated. The student may pick up the device at the end of the day from the School Office.
Students are provided a laptop on loan from Fox Valley Lutheran High School during the school year to assist them in completing assignments and projects for their classes. Students and their parents are expected to cooperate fully with the terms listed below:
- Students must agree to the Technology Agreement which outlines appropriate use of technology devices including their laptops.
- Laptops are to be used primarily for coursework related to enrollment at FVL. Students may not install additional programs, apps, etc., without permission.
Laptops are to be used solely by the students to whom the computers have been assigned. Students should not share, loan out, or otherwise allow anyone else to use their computers.
- Laptops are to be stored in a sleeve or bag designed for a laptop when not being used to protect against damage.
- Report any and all concerns related to damage, misuse, loss, theft, etc., immediately.
- Assist students in following the responsibilities as listed above for appropriate use.
- Take an active role in supervising any and all laptop usage outside of the FVL campus, particularly as it relates to internet access.
- Are held financially liable for a portion or all of the cost of a laptop that has been damaged, lost, or stolen. This may include, but is not limited to, deductible costs associated with general liability insurance coverage already in place at the high school.
- Report immediately any and all concerns related to damage, misuse, loss, theft, etc.